Friday 5 June 2015

Floral delights

I can't believe it's June already and the end of the school year is once again looming. The boys have three and a half more weeks, and then we are into the holidays -- that long cycle of me frantically trying to work while entertaining the boys and ferrying them around to different camps.

I've been neglecting the blog a little of late, so thought I'd write a quick update on what I've been up to.

I went to the Chelsea Flower Show for the first time ever. This was a fabulous experience -- a riot of colour, scent and sensation. What struck me most wasn't the show gardens, which is what everyone writes about and shows on TV. Those are indeed very impressive, but what I hadn't expected was the amazing floral displays from the growers inside the gigantic marquee. Huge walls of hyacinths, hydrangeas, roses, foxgloves -- you name it, it's there.

Selfie in floral garb

Hydrangea heaven

Purple paradise

Rose bower

Tea-time!


The visit inspired me in a fit of impulsiveness to become a Royal Horticultural Society member, and start frantically buying seeds to plant in my back garden. Whether this newfound passion for gardening lasts remains to be seen, but it did reinforce my love of flowers, and a realisation that I need to teach my children the names of plants, flowers and shrubs on every walk we go on - because how else do you learn?

Then we went to the Lake District for half term. This was again a floral treat, as the rhodedendron, azalea and blubells were all in bloom up there. It's the first time I've ever visited in May, and it's a great time of year to be there -- everything shining with that bright, light green of early leaf, and newborn lambs everywhere.

Lakeland colours

Rhodedendrons in full bloom

A gorgeous view of Derwentwater


Now we're back and heading into the madness that is end of term, with swimming galas, school balls, concerts and parental drinks gatherings dominating the calendar for the next few weeks .

Wish me luck and see you on the other side.












3 comments:

Iota said...

Ha! Went to a garden centre myself yesterday, and bought some things to plant. I agree re names of flowers. I know LOADs because my mum taught me - wild flowers and garden flowers. And what you said - how else do you learn them?

I'd love to go to the Chelsea Flower Show.

Mwa said...

Oh I love the Lake District. I wish we were there right now. We are also in the middle of June madness. Good luck and bring on Summer!

MsCaroline said...

I wanted to go to the Chelsea Flower Show this year, but it didn't happen - next year! I am so excited about being able to garden (a little bit: our rental place has just a small garden) again after 4 years of apartment life. It's been interesting looking at the plants here: some I recognize immediately; others are slightly different, and some are brand new. I drive my neighbors crazy asking them what things are, I'm sure.