Wednesday 10 August 2011

The Gallery: Water

One of the best things about living on Long Island is the fact we're surrounded by water. Even better than that, we live in a harbourside peninsula with sea on both sides. As I drive to the shops or pick up the boys from school, I get to see the sea - and there is something remarkably uplifting about it, even on a cold winter's day.

We go down to the seashore in all seasons and I love capturing its beauty on film. Whether it is the icy, still waters of Long Island Sound in winter,




or the fierce Atlantic rollers on the South Shore.



In the summer, we swim in it....



...in the spring and autumn, we paddle in it...



...and in the winter we just walk on the beach and marvel at how the sea can freeze over.



And sometimes - as in last night when I took this rather blurry iPhone shot of the harbour after a rainstorm - I just catch a glimpse of it as I'm walking through the town, and it lifts my spirits.




This post is for The Gallery: this week's theme, water.

15 comments:

Rebecca English said...

Wow - looks really beautiful

Expat mum said...

I so envy you! I think I must be part mermaid but I really long for the sea/ocean. It must be growing up near the North Sea with the fantastic beaches, but even when I lived in London I felt land-locked.
Here in Chicago, we have Lake Michigan, which looks like a sea, but it doesn't smell like one and isn't tidal. I would give anything to have your views.

MsCaroline said...

Wow, I had no idea that it was all around you like that. I'm terribly jealous. My grandparents lived just south of Boston, and whenever we visited, I loved that the ocean was never more than a few blocks away. Clamdigging with my grandfather and father is one of my dearest memories. Lucky you and what lucky boys!

Sarahmumof3 said...

what a beautiful place to live!

Shirley @ The Gardening Life said...

You live in such a beautiful part of the world! It would be wonderful to live so close to the ocean!

Mwa said...

We just had a holiday near Stranraer, and absolutely everywhere we looked there was water there. I loved it!

Dumdad said...

Ah, I do like to be beside the seaside! It is something I miss here in Paris. I was in Whitstable, Kent, on the weekend so I did get to breathe in some ozone.

Nota Bene said...

"Like"

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

You make me feel homesick for LI....I definitely took for granted living by the water

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love New York. Thank you for showing me a different view of it x

Michelloui | The American Resident said...

Growing up in Minnesota (Land of 10,000 Lakes, apparently) I was very used to lakes and rivers, but moving to Britain taught me about the sea. I still prefer lakes and rivers, but I love the sea in small doses!

Kate said...

There is something very special and spiritual about the sea.
You are blessed

geekymummy said...

Lovely. I love the water too. We are also on a peninsula and I love getting a flash of blue as I drive round town

nappy valley girl said...

Thank you all - yes, I know I am very lucky to live where we do at the moment. How we will cope back in London, I don't know - I might have to buy a beach hut.

Unknown said...

oh wow! at least there you have a proper summer!